A Series of Fortunate Invents - An Open-Source Tour Of Solutions For Scaling Prometheus
Prometheus is the de-facto standard open-source solution for monitoring your cloud-native applications.
However, what do you do once you’ve bumped up against one or more of its limitations?
- You’ve outgrown what a single instance can handle
- You’ve got many separate instances and need a global view
- You need longer retention of your metric series
- You require multi-tenancy
- You need better HA/resiliency
The classic “It Depends.” applies here.
Depending on which of the above are important to you, the solution varies.
Old, incorrect or false information online can make this even harder to solve for.
This talk steps through each of the popular open-source solutions for scaling Prometheus, discussing what they do and don’t do.
Hopefully, it can offer some guidance to help with the next stage of your observability journey and let you choose the right Prometheus-compatible metrics solution for you and your team!