Journey of a Home-based Personal Cloud Storage Project
Dive into the insights and lessons learned from my personal venture in building a distributed infrastructure with commodity hardware. Discover the alternatives to conventional cloud providers, the magic of ZFS, the importance of backups, automation and alerting for an enriched personal cloud storage experience. Explore this feedback on my project, utilizing exclusively FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) tools.
Key areas of exploration include:
- Infrastructure Decentralization: We'll discuss the architecture of a distributed network spanning multiple homes, all powered by commodity hardware. This setup offers greater control, privacy, and security over your data, while keeping a low bill at the end of the month.
- Backups: Dive into the world of ZFS, a file system and logical volume manager renowned for its robustness and data integrity features. We'll explore its implementation and benefits.
- Automation: Explore how Ansible can simplify management tasks, making your personal cloud storage system a breeze to maintain.
- Alerting: Discover how Nagios have been employed to monitor system health, ensuring your data remains safe and accessible.
- Observability: Gain insights into how metrics are collected and formatted allowing for troubleshooting.
This comprehensive feedback on my personal project aims to not only share the technical aspects but also the practical insights gained through hands-on experience.