I need some (MySQL) backup!
"If you have a hammer, all you see is nails." also known as the Law of the Instrument describes the cognitive bias that involves over-reliance on a familiar tool. To protect MySQL data, a DBA must have a toolbox full of the proper utensils. To know only one approach is not enough.
In this talk, we will cover the following topics:
- Why your backup strategy is probably wrong?
- Backups: Cold, hot... and warm?
- The right answer is not always the logical one.
- Replication is not the solution.
- Cold backups: rsync, snapshots...
- Warm backup using rsync.
- The logical song:
- MySQL shell.
- Getting physical:
- Percona XtraBackup: my swiss army knife.
- MySQL Enterprise Backup.
- Point-in-time recovery.
- Don't try this at prod: Test your backups.