Forward to the Past: Point in time recovery for MySQL
Disasters happen. Somebody runs a process that renders the data in your database unusable, inconsistent, or just deleted. Wouldn't it be great to be able to recover your database to the state just before the disaster happened?
In this talk we will learn the basics of Point in time recovery for MySQL:
- Disasters happen.
- You need three things.
- I know what you did last transaction: the binary logs.
- I need some backup.
- The quest for the third thing: find the last transaction before the disaster.
- Putting all together the traditional way.
- Make it faster using replication.
- What you can't recover, or at least you can't easily recover: the transactions executed after the disaster.