Building SCaLE's Openwrt Conference WiFi
An opportunity to provide a glimpse into how the tech team manages, builds, and deploys Openwrt that SCaLE, itself, runs on. The team has gone to great lengths iterating on automation for a custom Openwrt image that works across numerous CPU architectures and AP hardware.
I'll cover the following topics:
- Why does SCaLE use Openwrt to provide wifi for the conference?
- How does scale build its Openwrt image and whats included in it? Why not just use vanilla Openwrt?
- The Openwrt image building process
- The flashing of the image onto the actual hardware
- Automated image testing for fast feedback
- Results of this automation for how we iterate on changes to Openwrt for SCaLE
- The mechanisms that enable controlling 100+ APs across the conference deployment