Why you need a private container image registry, and how to deploy one using open source.
When you deploy containers in a production setting, a lot can go wrong if you unleash unconstrained container images directly from the Internet. This session will explain how a private registry can allow governance, along with security, performance and reliability advantages. We will explain Harbor, an open source container registry (a CNCF hosted sandbox-level project) – starting with simple use cases and going into advanced topics such as policy driven replication with role based access control integrated in CI/CD workflows.
Coverage will include:
- Using Multiple registries with promotion from dev to test to production.
- Security aspects of container images including using vulnerability scanning and provenance verification.
- Replication for achieving availability, and operational advantages when supporting multiple clouds or sites.
- Using Harbor as a Helm chart repository.
- Installation and use of Harbor.
- How to learn more and join the open source community supporting Harbor.