Intro to Instrumentation
Hosted GKE that attendees will connect to with openTelemetry Collector and Jaeger running.
Sample application provided in either Ruby or Python
Internet connection so students can locally clone the repository, connect to the cluster, and download the openTelemetry SDKs.
* Who/What/Where/When/Why of openTelemetry
* Demystifying observability terms (telemetry, instrumentation, cardinality, percentile, observability)
* Nuts and Bolts of Instrumentation
* Tour of the Sample App
* Automatic instrumentation with openTelemetry
* Explore OOTB response time metric on charts
* Manually add a label to the metric and review new facets to query by
* Explore an OOTB trace
* Manually instrument and add a span and review new level of visibility
* Discussion - when do you think instrumenting with metrics is a good fit vs spans? How do you think each affects the monitoring components? (e.g. a metric with user_id will not scale well).