Establishing an Open Source Program Office
In many companies, open source programs start informally with a group of diligent engineers and a few legal people. The ad-hoc group soon realizes it needs a more formal program to scale to address the litany of important issues and achieve specific business goals. With such an office in place, businesses can establish and execute on their open source strategies in clear terms, giving their leaders, developers, marketers, and other staff the tools they need to make open source a success within their operations. In this talk, we’ll discuss:
• Why create an open source program office.
• The role of the open source program office.
• Open source programs at prominent technology companies.
• How to establish an open source office.
• Program structure and management roles.
• Setting policy, processes and goals.
• Measuring and monitoring success.