Habitat is a simple, flexible way to build, deploy, and manage applications. Build applications of any flavor, from microservices to traditional applications. Deploy applications in any operational environment from bare metal to containers. Habitat provides consistent, repeatable, auditable applications that lower operational complexity and simplify development workflows.
This hands-on workshop is for anyone involved in building, deploying, or managing applications. The workshop will give you experience running and building applications with Habitat and describe the application-first approach that Habitat provides. Find out more at habitat.sh.
- Modern applications for modern application teams
- Introduction to Habitat
- Run a Habitat application
- Build a Habitat application
By the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Describe the various components that make up Habitat’s build- and run-time environments.
- Describe the workflow for building, deploying, and managing applications with Habitat
- Build application packages using the Habitat Builder service
- Publish Habitat packages to the Habitat depot
- Promote Habitat packages through various Habitat depot channels
- Install packages using the Habitat command line interface
- Run services in the Habitat Supervisor
- Modify the configuration of a running service
Participants should bring a wifi-enabled laptop to the workshop. Participants will be given a remote workstation with all prerequisites installed. The only thing required to access these workstations will be an SSH client (PuTTY on Windows) and familiarity with a interactive text editor (Vi/Vim, Emacs, or Nano).
It’s best that participants of this workshop have some familiarity and comfort with the following:
- Writing code (of just about any flavor) in a text editor
- Working on the command line
- Basic system administration – installing packages, configuring those packages, starting service
Optionally, participants may wish to install the various components required for local development may complete the installation steps listed on the Habitat website at https://www.habitat.sh/tutorials/download/.