Whirlwind Tour of Writing Games in Ruby.
Ruby is an open source programming language that is both powerful and very flexible. When people hear Ruby, they still think of Ruby on Rails and think that Ruby is just for building web applications. Ruby can be used for so much more than just the web. In this worshop, I will walk through how to make a game in Ruby, what libraries are available, how to package and ship your games, and even some advanced techniques like working with shaders.
- Basic knowlege of the Ruby programing language
- Laptop to develop on
- Workshop materials will be available at https://github.com/shawn42/game_dev_workshop
- Ruby >= 1.9 (2.0 preferable)
- Following gems installed:
- Gamebox - Rails for game dev
- Gosu - low leve 2D game library
- Chipmunk - 2D physics
- Ashton - Special effects
- Releasy - Packaging and distributing