Diversity, outreach, and teaching free software to college students
This talk discusses Open Source Comes to Campus, a bottom-up approach to helping university students of all kinds get to know the skills and culture of free, open source software development.
Through the talk, you'll learn:
- What university students do, and don't, know about open source;
- The encouraging gender ratios at these introductory events;
- How we believe our publicity materials make for a newcomer-friendly environment.
You'll come away empowered with the following resources:
- Our curriculum, and the rationale through which it has evolved;
- Our guide for making open source projects well-suited for in-person outreach events;
- Connections to OpenHatch, the non-profit that hosts these workshops, through which you can find like-minded people to organize with.